Appealing a Ticket
If you wish to appeal a citation, you must do so within 15 calendar days of the date of the violation. We do not consider the following valid reasons for appeal:
- Lack of knowledge of parking policies
- Other vehicles were also parked improperly
- Only parked illegally for a short period of time
- Failure of enforcement staff to ticket previously for similar offense
- Late to class or appointment
- Inability to pay the fine
- No other place to park
- Lack of knowledge of an event in your designated facility (failure to check email)
The following are suggestions for writing an appeal:
- Review parking policies -- ensure your appeal is well-founded and that you're familiar with the violation for which your vehicle was cited
- Provide a brief explanation that includes pertinent information
- Be honest
Submitting an Appeal
Appeals must be submitted online (if for some reason you are unable to submit online, download and print an appeal form). Prior to submitting your appeal, gather any evidence you wish to include (photos, sketches, repair bills) and combine them into a single file. JPEG, GIF, PDF, and BMP file types are acceptable.
To submit an appeal, visit Manage My Parking Account, then do one of the following:
- Duke employees/students - Log in with your NetID and password.
- Visitors - Click Signup to create an account.
In the menu, click Citations and follow the on-screen instructions to submit your appeal. Include any evidence as part of the submittal; evidence cannot be presented at a later time. At the end of the process, you'll receive a receipt with your appeal number and further instructions.
If you wish to present an oral argument in support of your appeal, read below.
An Appeals Committee comprised of Duke students and employees reviews appeals weekly or biweekly at 3:00 pm in 248 West Union Bldg. on alternating Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Employees are volunteers, and students are appointed by DSG or GPSC.
If you wish, you may schedule an oral appeal before the Committee. Schedule your oral appeal immediately after you submit your appeal online. To schedule, contact (919) 684-4947 or firstname.lastname@example.org. If you fail to appear at the scheduled time, the Committee will still review your appeal.
During the adjudication process, the Committee considers all available information, including your online appeal and submitted evidence, the issuing officer's statement, your parking history, and our parking policies.
The Committee has the authority to resolve a case by:
- Upholding the charge(s) as it stands
- Upholding the charge(s) and reducing the fine
- Dismissing the charge(s)
Although Parking & Transportation Services (PTS) provides information and support to the Committee, the voting members of the Committee make decisions independently of PTS. You can expect to receive notification of a decision one to three weeks from the time you submit your appeal, via email or US mail (depending on the notification method you selected).
The decisions of the Appeals Committee are final. There is no re-appeal process.