First-Year Student Permits
Try Enterprise CarShare
Why bring a car to campus when you have access to Enterprise CarShare? The car-sharing company provides you with a convenient and eco-friendly way to get around -– whether for running errands, driving around campus, or taking a road trip.
Welcome to Duke!
As a first-year student, you're allowed to bring a vehicle to campus, however, other modes of transportation are available and may be preferable:
- Biking is encouraged, and designated parking is available. Registering your bike has its advantages.
- Duke bus and van service is free to students. Please note that the Duke Transit experience will change significantly this year. Social distancing requirements limiting buses to 50% capacity will require that you carefully plan each trip, allowing ample time ahead of class change, meeting obligations and appointments.
- City and regional buses are available at no cost to students, with a free GoPass.
- If you're 18 or older, you can join Enterprise CarShare and reserve by the hour or day. Restrictions apply.
Academic Year 2020-2021 Announcement
Your parking permit type is based upon whether you live on or off campus but housing assignment information will not be available until mid-July. Please purchase your permit after July 27 and before August 7 at Manage My Parking Account.
Bringing a Vehicle
If you decide to bring a vehicle to Duke, you'll need to purchase the appropriate permit. Before you do so, please note:
- Many first-year students live on East Campus. The only permit available is for nearby Smith Warehouse South lot (SGS permit); spaces are limited.
- First-year students living on West Campus are eligible to purchase a Blue Zone permit.
- You may not drive a car to class, as parking near academic buildings is restricted to valid permits. Mopeds and motorcycles may be driven to class and must be parked in appropriate locations.
Before You Buy a Parking Permit
Before you purchase a permit, note:
- The annual permit fee for student residents (2020-2021) is $423. The fee is prorated monthly.
- The fee is billed to your bursar account.
- Your permit is only valid in its assigned facility, but grants access to most parking areas evenings and weekends.
- Your permit cannot be shared, and is associated with your vehicle make/model and license plate.
Purchasing a Permit
If you have a Duke NetID and password, you may purchase a permit online. Your receipt will include a temporary, printable pass (PDF) to use until your permit arrives.
Permit sales for 2020-2021 first-year students begin July 27 at My Parking Account.
- If you purchase before August 1, you should receive your permit at your home address. Display it in your car when you arrive on campus.
- Your permit is valid for a year, from August 16 to August 15.
- You must display the permit whenever your vehicle is parked on campus (including during academic breaks and holidays).
- You are responsible for any fines incurred by a vehicle displaying your permit. Fines are charged to your bursar account.