Lyft Rides Program
- Duke Lemur Center: 3705 Erwin Road
- Duke Campus Farm: 4934 Friends School Rd
- Duke Forest Shepherd Nature Trail: NC-751 (students only)
As a condition of participating in this program, any person riding in Lyft vehicles as part of the Lyft Ride Program must read and agree to the terms of the program and the waiver and release.
How it Works
This program operates Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Here's how it works.
Guests requiring an accessible vehicle should contact Duke Transit at (919) 684-2218.
Read and sign the waiver to obtain your Lyft Pass promo code.
Terms of Lyft Rides Pilot Program
If a student or employee signs the waiver and release, Duke will give the user a unique promo code or credit, which will provide the Duke User transportation to one of the approved areas.
Each Duke student or employee who participates in a ride pursuant to this program is deemed to be a “Duke User” and is required to and agrees to sign the waiver and release, even if such Duke User joins other Duke User(s) in an approved ride and does not personally access the Lyft App.
Duke will directly pay Lyft fees up to a set dollar amount for rides to any designated locations listed above as long as the ride originates and terminates on West Campus at the Bryan Center bus stop on Science Drive (2335+46 Durham, North Carolina). Rides must be requested and completed through the Lyft app, directly between Duke's campus and the designated locations, and within hours established by Duke. Duke will not pay tips related to any completed rides. Any tips paid by Duke Users through the Lyft App for completed rides will be billed to the passenger's personal Lyft account.
Please use the promo code from your signed waiver in the Lyft app. You must adjust your Lyft account e-mail address to your @duke.edu account to take advantage of the complementary rides.
For a complete set of instructions, see How it Works.
Additional Program Information
- If you request a ride that doesn’t meet the criteria, you will not see the discount shown on your ride confirmation screen and you will pay out of pocket.
- Prices may be impacted by distance, traffic, time of day, special events, and prime time surcharges.
- Please note that any tips will not be covered by the school and will be paid for by each individual rider.
Tips For Riding Smart with Lyft:
- Verify your ride by making sure the license plate number, driver information, and car make and model match what you see in the app.
- Share your location and route with a friend or loved one from within the Lyft app so they can follow your ride in real-time.
- Follow the Lyft vehicle on GPS via the app.
- Ask the driver to say who they are picking up.
- Learn more about how to ride smart with Lyft.
Lyft’s Health Safety Program
In response to COVID-19, Lyft launched a Health Safety Program, which includes:
- Personal health certification for drivers and riders
- Required face masks for drivers and riders
- Health safety education for drivers and riders
- Distribution of cleaning supplies and masks for drivers
- Read more about the program on the Lyft website.
Lyft Accessibility Guidelines
Drivers are required by law and Lyft’s policy to transport riders who use foldable mobility devices. Drivers are required to assist riders in the storage of their mobility devices, unless physically unable to do so. Mobility devices include the following:
- Foldable wheelchair
- Foldable walker
- Foldable scooter
- Canes, crutches and other smaller assistive device
- You can read more about this on the Lyft website.
Lyft for Departments
The partnership with Lyft enables schools and departments to work with Parking and Transportation to set up programs that support the needs of your department or school.
Examples of how departments can utilize these programs for academic purposes:
- Off-campus volunteer transportation
- Student off-campus mobility enhancement programs
- Event transportation
For additional information or please email Duke Parking and Transportation. Parking and Transportation will reach out to discuss your transportation needs, program requirements, and work to find a transportation solution that meets your needs.