GoPass Program Guidelines
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the ongoing impact of COVID-19, GoTriangle and other “Go”-transit systems (GoTriangle, GoRaleigh, GoDurham, GoCary) will continue to suspend fares for the 2021-2022 academic year. This means they will not accept payment and there is no fare. You may simply board the bus and ride.
As a result, Duke students and employees do not need a GoPass in order to ride the bus and will not need to provide any type of payment or show ID while riding the "Go"-system buses. Duke Parking and Transportation will not offer the GoPass during the 2021-2022 academic year as they are unnecessary to ride “Go”-system buses. If there are any changes to this policy, we will notify past GoPass holders, post an advisory at parking.duke.edu and update this page.
The GoPass program, an effort to alleviate parking demands around the Duke's main campus in Durham, NC is sponsored by Duke Parking and Transportation Services. Duke sites elsewhere in Durham or in surrounding areas that are interested in participating with GoDurham and GoTriangle should contact GoTriangle to establish their own programs.
Participant Criteria and Responsibilities
- All students (undergraduate, graduate, and professional, whether full- or part-time) are eligible for a GoPass. All Duke employees (full-time or part-time) whose workplace is in Durham, NC on or within a half mile of East, West, Central, or the Health System campuses; or at the American Tobacco Campus, are eligible for a GoPass. Faculty and staff should verify their eligbility using our map.
- GoPasses are primarily intended to be used during the participant's commute to and from work or class. For residential students, GoPasses are provided for off-campus shopping, dining and entertainment.
- Participants are issued one GoPass. Participants are not allowed to give, lend or sell the GoPass.
- Bus drivers may ask to see your Duke ID when you swipe your GoPass -- carry your ID with you. If you cannot produce your ID, the driver may deny use of your GoPass and you will be required to pay for your ride-out-of pocket. We will not reimburse GoPass participants or non-participants for out-of-pocket expenses related to riding the bus.
- If you lose your GoPass, visit one of our locations for a replacement. You may receive two replacements per year (August-July). A $25.00 replacement fee applies. The fee may be paid by cash, credit card, or check.
- Eligible faculty and staff pay $25/year for a GoPass. We'll advise you by letter when it's time to renew. If you purchase a GoPass after the annual renewal period, the annual fee is not prorated. The GoPass is free to students.
- Participants understand and agree to abide by the policies that apply to their GoPass, as well as to the rules that apply to riding the local and regional bus systems.
- If you need an alternative to using your GoPass in an emergency, register for the Emergency Ride Home program.
- In conjunction with GoTriangle, we will conduct monthly reviews of usage for each GoPass to determine compliance. If non-compliant use is discovered, your GoPass will be immediately deactivated.
- If you violate the criteria and responsibilities stated above, we will revoke the GoPass and you will no longer be eligible. Violations include, but are not limited to, lending, giving or selling your GoPass, or any other action determined to be fraudulent by a Duke official.