Our Transportation Demand Management Office works with GoTriangle and Piedmont Authority for Regional Transportation (PART) to provide a vanpool program for Duke employees. GoTriangle vanpools require one leg of the commute to begin or end in Wake, Durham, or Orange County. PART vanpools must begin in the Triad (Greensboro, Windston-Salem, High Point) region.
Benefits of Participating
There are several benefits to participating in a vanpool program through Duke:
- GoTriangle and PART provide the vehicles, gas, insurance, and maintenance.
- Vehicles park free at Duke -- no permit is required.
- Vehicles are assigned to reserved parking spaces.
- As a rider, you pay a low monthly fare based on monthly round-trip mileage. If you are the primary driver, the fare is waived.
- You can obtain two free daily parking passes per month to use on days you may need to drive separately. You can also purchase additional daily passes for $8/day online.
- So that you are eligible to get a ride home in case of certain emergencies, Triangle vanpool participants may register for GoTriangle's Emergency Ride Home (ERH) program.
In addition, Duke provides these financial benefits:
- For new vanpools, if at least 50% of the passengers are Duke employees, Duke will pay the required $300 deposit.
- A $10 per month fare discount is applied to each Duke participating employee.
Joining or Starting a Vanpool
You may be able to join an existing vanpool, or, with enough riders, you can form a new one.
To join an existing vanpool, search for vacancies in current vanpools:
If you don't find an existing vanpool, you may be able to start a new one. You'll need a minimum of seven participants with commuting needs similar to yours.
- To identify potential commuting partners, visit SharetheRideNC and register.
- Select a primary and backup driver.
- Determine pickup and drop off locations and times.
- Follow the instructions provided online: GoTriangle or PART
Obtaining Your Vanpool Benefits
Once your vanpool is approved, contact us with your vanpool information at 919-684-3640 or 919-684-2391 to do the following:
- Request a parking space in your desired location
- Receive your monthly fare discount
Making Changes to Your Vanpool
Vanpools must maintain at least six riders and one driver. If you need to make changes, be aware of the following:
- If someone leaves the vanpool, you have 30 days to add new member. Otherwise, vanpool privileges will no longer apply.
- If your vanpool has four or fewer members, you may consider a carpool.
- Monthly pricing may be impacted by changes in vanpool membership.
- If your vanpool disbands completely, we'll advise the Duke participants of available parking options.