Our Transportation Demand Management Office works with Commute with Enterprise to provide a vanpool program for Duke employees.
Benefits of Participating
There are several benefits to participating in a vanpool program through Duke:
- Vehicles park free at Duke -- no permit is required.
- Vehicles are assigned to reserved parking spaces.
- As a rider, you pay a low monthly fare based on monthly round-trip mileage.
- You can obtain two free daily parking passes per month to use on days you may need to drive separately. You can also purchase additional daily passes for $10/day online.
- So that you are eligible to get a ride home in case of certain emergencies, vanpool participants may register for GoTriangle's Emergency Ride Home (ERH) program.
In addition, Duke provides these financial benefits:
- A $10 per month fare discount is applied to each Duke participating employee.
Joining or Starting a Vanpool
You may be able to join an existing vanpool, or, with enough riders, you can form a new one. You'll need a minimum of seven participants with commuting needs similar to yours.
- To identify potential commuting partners, visit SharetheRideNC and register.
- Select a primary and backup driver.
- Determine pickup and drop off locations and times.
- For more information, contact us at 919-684-3070 or Commute with Enterprise.
Obtaining Your Vanpool Benefits
Once your vanpool is approved, contact us with your vanpool information at 919-684-3070 to do the following:
- Request a parking space in your desired location
- Receive your monthly fare discount
Making Changes to Your Vanpool
Vanpools must maintain at least six riders and one driver. If you need to make changes, be aware of the following:
- If someone leaves the vanpool, you have 30 days to add new member. Otherwise, vanpool privileges will no longer apply.
- If your vanpool has four or fewer members, you may consider a carpool.
- Monthly pricing may be impacted by changes in vanpool membership.
- If your vanpool disbands completely, we'll advise the Duke participants of available parking options.