As part of Duke's continuing effort to promote sustainable transportation, we offer a carpool program to all Duke staff, faculty, and students who have a vehicle, live off campus, and park on the East, West or main Durham Health System campuses. Carpoolers benefit from saving money, cutting emissions and reducing vehicle wear and tear. And registered carpoolers receive monthly occasional parking benefits and access to a number of convenient facilities.
To change an existing carpool permit, contact the TDM (Transportation Demand Management) Program Manager at (919) 684-3070.
Depending on your affiliation with Duke, pricing and incentives vary.
Staff, Faculty, Graduate and Professional Students
You may register as a two-, three- or four-person carpool. Unless you register as a single-car carpool, each participant receives up to two daily parking passes per month for days they need to drive alone. Additional daily passes may be purchased as needed.
- Four (4) participants - Each participant parks free
- Three (3) participants
- Faculty and staff - Each pays $7.00/month
- Graduate and professional students - Each pays $84/year
- Two (2) participants
- Faculty and staff - Each pays half of the annual permit price for an eligible lot of choice
- Graduate and professional students - Each pays half of the permit price for an eligible lot of choice
You may register as a four- or three-person carpool. Park in carpool-reserved spaces in the the first lot on the left as you enter the Blue Zone. Each participant receives up to two daily parking passes per month for unreserved spaces in the Blue Zone.
- Four (4) participants - No charge
- Three (3) participants - Each pays $84/year
Available Carpool Parking
View a map of lot options and flexible spaces, which are available for any vehicle displaying a carpool permit (regardless of assigned lot).
Undergraduate commuters - Blue Zone only
Faculty, staff, graduate and professional students - Carpoolers (3 or 4 members) may select from the lots below. Carpool with 2 members may park in any assigned lot/zone, as long as one or both participants are eligible for that lot (waitlists apply). Lot availability is on a first come, first served basis.
- 705 Broad St.
- Blue Zone
- Campus Drive Lot
- Chemistry Lot
- Circuit Drive Lot
- East Campus ungated lots
- East Gated Lot 1 and East Gated Lot 2
- GC Lot
- Green Zone
- H Lot
- Hock Garage
- Parking Garage III
- PL Lot
- Power House Lot
- Science Drive Garage
- Smith Warehouse
Before you apply for a carpool permit, find other commuters who work near you and have a similar schedule. Visit SharetheRideNC.com and create an account to search. Once registered, if you are Duke staff, you'll have access to the regional Emergency Ride Home program.
When you're ready to apply, do the following.
1. Select your preferred parking lot from the Carpool Lots sidebar. Note: If you are a 2-person carpool applicant and have an active Duke parking permit, you can stay in that facility. Alternatively, you can apply to park in any lot you're eligible for (waitlists may apply).
2. Collect the following information from your carpool members:
- Duke Unique ID number
- Vehicle state and license plate number
- Make, model, year and color of each vehicle
3. Designate one participant (the "captain") to complete the online application. We'll review the application and contact the captain within five (5) business days to confirm details.
Depending on the type of carpool you're registered for, requirements for receiving your permit vary. Some permits require an in-person appointment -- we'll contact your captain to schedule. All pickups are during business hours at our Science Dr. Garage location.
- Three or four person carpool - All members of the carpool must be present and show proof of vehicle ownership
- Two person carpool, more than one vehicle - Captain may pick up permit or request that it be mailed to the home address on file
- Two person carpool, one vehicle only - Both participants must be present and and show proof of vehicle ownership