Electric Vehicle Charging Stations
Duke offers incentives for driving eco-friendly vehicles, like providing charging stations across campus and preferential parking for qualifying low emission vehicles.
Through a pilot program, we offer charging stations in the following locations:
- ChargePoint Level 2 stations - There are eight J1772 stations available to any ChargePoint registered user (see instructions below). Sessions are $0.75/hour for the first four hours. Use is restricted to one-hour fast charging and four-hour Level 2 charging.
- Eaton DC Level 3 Fast Charger - Located in Smith Warehouse North outside of the gated area, this single charger is CHAdeMO compatible. Use of the station is free to Duke permit holders and limited to a one-hour session, which provides a full charge. To use the station, follow the instructions on the unit.
- General Electric Level 2 stations - Located in the Bryan Center lot, these two stations are free to Duke permit holders and limited to a four-hour session. To use the stations, follow the instructions on the unit.
ChargePoint Station Instructions
ChargePoint stations require that you are registered as a user. Registration is free.
Registering with ChargePoint
Sign up for a free ChargePoint account online or via the ChargePoint app.
- If registering online, be sure to request a card through the mail.
- If registering via the app, call ChargePoint (888-758-4389, available 24 hrs/day) to finalize the registration process.
To use a ChargePoint station, do the following:
- Tap In. To start charging, tap your ChargePoint card on the station. If you're using the app, be sure you're signed in, then do one of the following:
- Tap your phone on the station.
- Tap Start Charge in the app.
The charging connector will unlock.
- Lift the Connector. On the station, push the button to lift the connector out of the holster.
- Plug In (and Check In). Plug the connector into your EV and press the blue button. Check your EV’s indicator to make sure it is charging (your EV may be equipped with a dashboard indicator light).
- Do Your Thing. Relax and go about your day. If you're using the app, you can view the charging status. If you have notifications set, ChargePoint will notify you when charging is complete.
- Tap Out. When you return to your vehicle, tap your card or phone on the station, and push the blue button to end the session. The station will display the fee. If you've enabled the receipts option, ChargePoint will send you a receipt of your charging details.
- Unplug. Unplug the connector from your vehicle and replace it in the holster.
Low Emission Vehicles
The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy issues a comprehensive list of vehicles from model year 1998 to model year 2017 that have a "green score" 40 and above in its rankings. We use this list to issue Low Emission Vehicle (LEV) stickers to Duke permit holders, so that they can take advantage of preferential parking spaces in Research Drive Garage and Science Drive Garage.
To request an LEV sticker, please visit one of our locations. Bring your vehicle registration or similar proof of ownership.