Charter Bus Service
Student organizations recognized by the university and Duke employees can charter buses for transportation to social or other activities around the Triangle area. Reservations must be made at least 10 days in advance by calling (919) 684-2218 between 7:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday - or by completing the form below.
An estimate for cost of service will be provided at the time a reservation is confirmed.
- The minimum charge is $480, which reflects our current hourly charter rate of $120.
- A cleaning deposit of $120 is required 7 days before the date of the charter.
- If the charter is canceled 5 or fewer days before the scheduled date, and the cause is not weather-related, the $120 will not be returned.
- If the charter is held and no additional cleaning is required, the $120 deposit will be returned.
- Under some circumstances, a van or small bus may be provided at $90 per hour.
Charter service payment can only be made with an interdepartmental request (IR) form or check. IR forms are available from the Student Activities Office in the Bryan Center.
Student groups are required to identify two individuals per bus who will be responsible for ensuring the safety of the group. The names of these individuals must be provided when submitting the IR form. Duke Transit operators are not responsible for the care of those who may be chemically impaired. Students who, in the judgment of the group's representatives, pose a threat to their own safety or the safety of others will not be allowed to board the bus. Groups who fail to behave responsibly may have their charter privileges revoked or suspended.
- Changes to a student group's itinerary must be in writing and can only be made by the person who originally booked the charter. No other changes will be allowed.
- Large student groups traveling to some areas such as Chapel Hill/Franklin St., Norman's Stables or the Big Barn in Hillsborough may have their charter subcontracted to a private operator utilizing over-the-road equipment.
- Based on charter destinations, Transit Operations will determine whether standing passengers will be allowed. However, standing won’t be allowed on a bus traveling on a 55 mph or higher highway. Group leaders should work with transit personnel and their group in advance to obtain an adequate number of buses and to ensure an orderly boarding process.
- Cancellation as a result of weather/road conditions - When weather or road conditions are such that a charter poses an unacceptable risk, the Transit Operations staff may cancel a charter. The person who ordered the charter will be notified as early as possible.
- Based on requested bus route, destination and estimated group size there may be recommendations made regarding bus size as well number of drivers needed.
- Transit Management is only able to provide a quote based on request submitted. You are responsible for any additional cost incurred for transportation provided outside of estimated end time.
Bus Charter Reservation