Bicycling at Duke
Bicycling at Duke is an ideal way to get around, whether it's for exercise or transportation, and Duke makes it easy and convenient for students, faculty and staff to park safely and close to buildings.
Register your Bike
Registering as a bike commuter provides many benefits:
- Thieves are less likely to steal registered bikes.
- Registered bikes are more likely to be recovered if stolen.
- On the days that you need to drive, employees and graduate students registered as full-time bike commuters can receive up to 2 free daily parking passes per month.
- Registered cyclists are permitted to use showers in the Wilson Center or Brodie Center from opening time to 9:00 a.m., Monday - Friday. For gym access, the commuter's DukeCard is required. Additional shower locations can be found here.
- All registered cyclists can receive discounts at local retailers such as Durham Cycles, Bullseye Bicycle, and Bull City Burger through Duke's partnership with the national incentive program, Bicycle Benefits.
In the State of North Carolina, bicycles have the same rights and responsibilities as motor vehicles. That means bikes are allowed to ride on streets and should obey all traffic signs and signals. Please bike responsibly by signaling turns and respecting pedestrians. And, don't forget: always wear your helmet!
- Check out the League of American Bicyclists (LAB) website for some great safety videos.
- You can find some tips from the LAB on staying safe through proper maintenance and riding gear by clicking here.
- To review all NC bike laws and policies, visit the NCDOT Bike/Ped Division website.
Emergency Ride Home
For unexpected crises, employees who are also full-time bike commuters can enroll in the regional Emergency Ride Home program. ERH offers up to 6 free vouchers per year for a ride home due to personal illness or unscheduled overtime. Information about using this service can be found at http://www.gotriangle.org/ERH/
Other Cycling Resources
Bike Durham - a local bicycling advocacy organization that hosts events and other activities
Duke Zagster - a campus bike-share program with 50 bicycles at stations on East, Central, and West Campus, available for rent by the hour or day to student, faculty and staff members
Durham Bike Co-op - a community bike shop in downtown Durham providing bicycle repair skill-sharing and earn-a-bike programs
GoSmart - provides Triangle-wide resources for cyclists
|In this video, Academic Dean Norman Keul shows how he bikes each day to Duke.|