YOUR SAFETY IS OUR PRIORITY
Duke Transit drivers take pride in keeping you safe and providing excellent customer service. Please help us enhance your riding experience by following these safety guidelines.
- Allow for extra travel time. Arrive 5 minutes prior to scheduled departure time. Due to traffic and other conditions, buses may run ahead or behind schedule and a driver cannot accept additional riders when a transit vehicle reaches capacity.
- Board and exit at designated bus stops. Do not crowd a curb when waiting for a bus; stand within view of the driver and back from the curb until a bus comes to a complete stop.
- Board only through the FRONT door. Be courteous by allowing passengers to exit first.
- Keep your body and objects out of closing doors. Drivers are instructed not to re-open a door once the bus pulls away. Please do not signal a driver by touching a moving bus or standing in its path.
- Be courteous to passengers with disabilities. Yield priority, reserved, wheelchair, or designated seating.
- When standing, move to the center of the bus behind the floor line. Drivers cannot move the bus with people standing in unsafe locations.
- Always cross a street behind a transit vehicle. Never cross in front because you may not be within view of motorists.
- Do not walk between two stopped buses. Buses sometimes roll back slightly when brakes are released.
- Carry your DukeCard ID. If requested, please provide Duke identification to your driver.
- Be courteous to your driver. Please follow your driver's safety directives and do not interfere with the operation of a Duke Transit vehicle in a way that affects his or her control of the vehicle.
Always remember - please be courteous to your fellow passengers. Our goal is to provide the highest level of service while operating all Duke Transit vehicles.